Trees: Symbols of Powerful Experiences
The 2013 Artist-in-Residence and Curator at The Tech Garden, Maria Rizzo is proud to present "Trees: Symbols of Powerful Experiences," a juried art and poetry competition that will explore the history of the symbolism of trees and their role in today's environment.
This competition, open to all Onondaga County residents over 18, aims to empower our local visual artists and poets by giving them a chance to showcase their work on the walls of the Tech Garden, compete to win awards, and bring the community together in thinking, creating and acting greener.
This exhibition is designed to bring attention to local 2D art and poetry that is thought provoking, engaging, and technically strong. There will be many different interpretations of this theme and a wide display of styles and mediums.
Lindsey Bellosa was born in 1983 in upstate NY. She has an MA in Writing from the National University of Galway, Ireland and has had several poems and short stories published in both Irish and American magazines and journals. She currently lives in Syracuse, NY.
Anne Novado Cappuccilli is a curator, art consultant and artist based in Syracuse, NY. After obtaining her MFA in Painting from Syracuse University in 2004, she taught courses at Syracuse University, Cazenovia College, and Onondaga Community College. She was curator of the former Limestone Art Gallery from 2007 to 2011 before launching Cappuccilli Fine Art, LLC. in late 2011.
Recent personal exhibition history includes: solo shows at: Exhibit A Gallery, New England College Art Gallery, Houghton Art Gallery, Fenton Art Gallery at Onondaga Community College, and group exhibitions include: Rochester Memorial Art Gallery, Edgewood Gallery, the Everson Museum of Art’s Biennial “The Object and Beyond”, and Iceland’s Gallery Svartaloft “Light Night 2007” festival exhibition.
The Jurors will select 30 pieces of art and 30 poems to be included in the exhibition based on how innovative, engaging and technically strong the art and poetry is in expressing the theme. Entries will be judged on creative originality and technical merit.
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY
All entries must be submitted by e-mail no later than Saturday, October 19, 2013 (12 a.m.) to the curator Maria Rizzo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- the subject line of the e-mail should state "Art Competition - Artist's name"
-the art must be submitted as an e-mail attachment at email@example.com
-Limited to 3 images in jpeg format, and 300 dpi.
- The jpegs have to be named with the title of the wok and the name of the artist.
- the image list with title, medium, size must be submitted in the body of the e-mail.
- the subject line of the e-mail should state "Poetry Competition - Artist's name"
-Poems must be submitted in the body of the e-mail as well as attachment (Word) at firstname.lastname@example.org
-Limited to 3 poems, no more than8 pages.
Maria Rizzo, Curator
Failure to comply with these rules will result in disqualification from The Gallery at The Tech Garden.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS for the 2D art
• Only original artworks are eligible.
• All prints in the Digital and Photography category must be signed.
• No works containing live plants, perishable items or works requiring consistent maintenance will be accepted into The Gallery at The Tech Garden.
• No artwork measuring more than 50 inches in any direction or weighing more than 50 pounds will be accepted without prior written permission from the Curator.
• Every artwork must be ready to install. All 2D works must be wired (we will not include any artworks in the exhibit if they are delivered unprepared for installation).
• All works must be properly identified with a secured, legible and fully completed label on the reverse when delivered to The Gallery at The Tech Garden
• (which will be provided in the acceptance email notifications).
• Canvases larger than 48 inches in any direction should be reinforced with cross braces.
• Do not use glass on works exceeding 16 x 20 inches. Plexiglas is encouraged but not required for works of this size.
• Canvases with wet paint and frames in fragile condition will be disqualified.
• The jurors’ decisions are final.
• No substitutions will be permitted.
DROP-OFF & PICK-UP OF ORIGINAL WORKS
Original artwork and poems accepted for exhibition must be dropped off between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM on October 31 or November 6, 2013 and picked up between 09:00 AM and 4:00 PM on January 1 or 2, 2013 for The Tech Garden Art Gallery. Artworks and poems will not be released to any person other than the artist without written authorization from the artist to curator Maria Rizzo.
STORAGE CHARGES AFTER THE TECH GARDEN ART GALLERY
Unless prior written permission is arranged, artworks and poems not picked up by 5:00 PM, January 6, 2013 will be disposed. No exceptions will be made.
The Gallery at The Tech Garden does not participate in the sale of artwork. Neither will the Gallery at The Tech Garden provide any documents of authenticity. All inquiries will be directed to the artist or their representative.
Address all general questions via email correspondence to Maria Rizzo, Curator: email@example.com
Important Dates FOR THE GALLERY AT THE TECH GARDEN
Sunday, August 11, 2013 - The Gallery at the Tech Garden begins accepting online submissions
October 19, 2013 (12 a.m.) - Deadline for entry (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Sunday, October 20 through Thursday, October 24 - Jurying of entries
Thursday and Friday, October 25 & 26, 2013 - Email notifications of acceptance and/or rejection
Wednesday, December 4 & December 11, 2013 - 10 AM - 4 PM Drop-off of works selected for exhibition
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 - Juror selects award winners
Thursday, November 21, 2013 - Opening Reception 5:00 to 8:00 PM - Awards presentation 7:00 PM
Wednesday, November 13 through Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - Exhibition open to public
Wednesday and Thursday, January 1 & 2, 2013 - 9 AM - 4 PM Pick-up of artworks